Daily Prompt: Thank You
The internet is full of rants. Help tip the balance: today, simply be thankful for something (or someone).
Photographers, artists, poets: show us THANKS.
9/11 – remembered the world over for the atrocities that took place in the USA. For all the lives lost in that terrible business, and the lives lost since because of that. I give thanks that I, nor my loved ones, were involved in that and hope that all who were can find some comfort and peace as time passes.
I purposely haven’t read any other blogs today on this subject, simply because I think we all have so many things to be thankful for and by reading what others have written it might jog my memory a bit too much. That would lead to an epic post which would, quite frankly, bore the pants off of anyone reading it.
I have decided to take the (slightly) lazy route on this one and go a little bit general. If I were to list every individual item for which I am thankful, it would take all day. While I’m thankful for having the time to do that, I have got other things to be getting on with. Like my stitching, for example.
Without my eyesight, my brain power and my hands, I wouldn’t be able to enjoy this hobby. But it’s not all about those things either because the money has to come from somewhere to buy the products I use and the designs I stitch. And those products that I use have to be designed and manufactured by other people, who I’m thankful have those abilities.
Ok, I’m going to stop there with that one. It could snowball…
So, what else am I thankful for? My sense of humour. I owe that to my Mum and Nan. They were both a bit warped when it came to laughing at things. Not in a nasty way, you understand, but just found so many things to smile and laugh about, even though their lives were dreadfully difficult at times. As mine has been, and looks likely to continue to be. But with my sense of humour and my son – who also has the same warped sense of humour – I think there will be much to laugh about, and in the face of, in years to come.
I am thankful for my friends. They are the family that I never really had. I do keep in touch with some family members but most of them are far-flung now and I don’t see them at all. But it’s true what they say. Friends are the family that God forgot to give you. They like you because they want to, not because they’re obliged to.
I am thankful for technology. Without it, I wouldn’t be sitting here typing this on a computer, sat next to my mobile phone and with many other digital devices strewn about the place. Some are old, some are very old. They still work and that’s what matters. I am grateful for broadband internet which means I don’t have to worry about how much the bill is going to be.
And as I sit here, looking at the monitor shelf of my desk, I am suddenly reminded of perhaps the most important thing to be thankful for. My desk is littered with crystals and minerals. The true beauty of Mother Nature on my desk. Mined by people who all too often risk their lives in pursuit of these gems. Brought to me by worldwide postal services. So that I may enjoy the fruits of Earth’s labour.
Which sort of brings me full circle to what I said at the beginning about eyesight etc. And I could, in all probability, go on and on about things I am thankful for but here’s something you can all be thankful for… I’m not going to!
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Leftover Ramen | Daily Prompt: Thank You | likereadingontrains
- To Jinnah, with respect. | Randomlyabstract’s Blog
- Thanking You | The Magic Black Book
- Thanks For The Flowers | The Ambitious Drifter
- Daily Prompt: Thanks (a 9/11 Tribute to our first responders) | Gotham Chick
- Daily Prompt: Thank You | Under the Monkey Tree
- Thank You, Mom | Sogna Grandezza
- Thank You | Tony’s Texts
- Thank you for the music. | Everyday Adventures
- Many Thanks | Motherhood and Beyond
- Daily Prompt: Thank You | Being a Huntress
- Recovery and Reflections: Relief | mentalrollercoaster
- Daily Prompt: Thank You | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Thank You Dear Chocolate | મન ની વાત
- Open my eyes, Break my Heart, continued | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- An attitude of gratitude. | Hope* the happy hugger
- thankful for me | wannabepoet
- You, thanks! | boo!
- Thank You | Geek Ergo Sum
- Daily Post – Thank You | awritersfountain
- Thank you, Daily Post, for a reminder to be thankful! | Reinvention of Mama
- Daily Prompt: Thank You « Mama Bear Musings
- INTERNET | ayimas
- Walking through my front door | mostlytrueramblings
- I Don’t Wanna… | Lori’s Life and Other Stuff
- September 11, 2013 | joymamalife