Daily Prompt: I Pledge Allegiance
Are you patriotic? What does being patriotic mean to you?
Photographers, artists, poets: show us COUNTRY.
Am I patriotic? Yes, I most certainly am. I am English and proud to be so. But you will notice, I do not say that I am British or a British Citizen because I am not. Anyone can choose to be British. British means that you are a resident of the United Kingdom (which isn’t truly united but I’ll get to that in a minute) but that you can be born here or in another country. Your roots may not be from this particular area of the world, but if you are born here, you are classed as British.
I was born in England, have lived in England all my life and will continue to do so until I no longer draw breath. I very much resent having to fill in forms now stating that I am British, White British or, worse still, White European. I am not that either. I am white and I am English – I can’t stress that enough!
However, our little country being a part of the European Union (more’s the pity but that’s a whole other story) means that we are no longer allowed to call ourselves English. We must be one of the aforementioned denominations and I, for one, really hate that. I feel like I am losing my identity in the world… No, not losing it, having it taken away from me. My right to call myself English will now get me in a lot of trouble.
When I think about all the people who’ve lost their lives in two World Wars to save this little country of ours, I imagine them to be turning in their mass graves. All the young soldiers who died on the front line, fighting for us to keep our independence… and then politicians, the very ones who advocate wars, sell us out for a supposedly better and brighter future. Not so, my friends, not so at all.
Great Britain – that is a joke. We used to be great, but not so much now. Our place and usefulness in the world is being diminished since we put our stupid selves under the thumb of Brussels. And it’s a move that is being rebelled against now, albeit many, many years too late. We are told how to live our lives by people who don’t know how we should do it. And it’s sickening.
Likewise, United Kingdom. Another ridiculous name for a country that sees all parts wishing for independence from the others, regardless of the fact that we are all the same little island (except Northern Ireland which is not attached to the mainland but is part of the UK, while the rest of the island is not). The Welsh have their own rules and regulations. Scotland are now baying for independence, despite half the nationals of Scotland living in England! They all hate the English and would probably opt for a giant saw to come down and separate them from the part of the island that houses the crappy governments.
I heard recently that Cornwall is complaining about wanting to be a country in itself. I love Cornwall but come on folks, get a grip. You’re only a little bit of the country, not a whole country in your own right. Or is that what you wanted? To be independent of the rest of England? How bizarre…
I love England and truly believe that each country should keep its own nationals, but this will never happen now. There is no more “England for the English” for we are becoming overrun by British Citizens and Europeans.
I think it’s great to go to different countries to visit and go on holiday, maybe even to work for a few years. But to up sticks from your own country in favour of another one seems strange to me, with all the difficulties that come from not speaking the language or knowing a country’s customs and practices. I will stick to my little corner of England and still, to a degree, be proud to call it home.
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Daily Prompt: I Pledge Allegiance | Under the Monkey Tree
- Wishing my home country Malaysia, Selamat Merdeka | littlegirlstory
- Daily Prompt: Country | Books, Music, Photography & Movies : my best friends
- Canada Sucks and I Don’t Want to Leave : I Pledge Allegience | thanks for letting me autograph your cat
- Duncan the Sushi Roll #5 | Neva Samaki
- No country should exist | Phelio a Random Post a Day
- Daily Prompt: Pledge Allegiance | Motherhood and Beyond
- Daily Prompt: Country – What Country Means to Me | USS Hornet (CV-12)-A Father’s Untold War Story
- Daily Prompt: I Pledge Allegiance | The Lint In My Pocket
- Pledge Allegiance | Flowers and Breezes
- Pledge | A Good One
- Daily Prompt: I Pledge Allegiance « Mama Bear Musings
- There Are Better Things Than Patriotism | The Jittery Goat
- Canadian post card | DCMontreal
- Daily Prompt : Being Indonesian? I am deadly Proud of It! | bambangpriantono
- 158. Questionable Allegiance | kevindeisher
- Country | Rebecca Barray
- Daily Prompt: I Pledge Allegience | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Patriotism: Yes or No? | pork juice & paper towels
- Patriotism | A mom’s blog
- Daily Prompt: I Pledge Allegiance | I really just pretend to know stuff
- Daily Prompt: Country – Our America by Shannon Holloway | IF I ONLY HAD A TIME MACHINE
- Country | The Nameless One
- A small stitch from the fabric of Canada | Patchwork Ponderings
- We agree to celebrate our life… | Vampire Maman
- Daily Prompt: I Pledge Allegiance | Likeness Of Something
- Two countries | Life is great
- #Patriotism in #Murica | floatingsheep
- Daily Writing Prompt: I Pledge Allegiance | Charles Ray’s Ramblings
- Daily Prompt: I Pledge Allegiance « Vicariously Poetic
- Daily Prompt: To pledge allegiance and mean it | SERENDIPITY
- The Death Of National Pride | Liars, Hypocrites & The Development of Human Emotion
- My Country……(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- Of thee i sing | contrailsonmyheart
- Daily Prompt: I Pledge Allegiance | Nature Wisdom Journey
- Daily Prompt; I Pledge Allegiance | terry1954
- My top five things about being British… | My Top Fives…
- Editorial: Reflections of loyalty on a holiday weekend | The not really news blog
- DP Poem: “Pledge Allegiance”… One Nation Under God!!! | The Abuse Expose’ with Secret Angel
- Daily Prompt: I Pledge Allegiance | The Daily Post | The Blogging Path
- Republicans are more patriotic than democrats | The Flavored Word
- Britain Sucks – But I’m Still Proud Of It |Daily Prompt: I Pledge Allegiance | Quinn Harkness
- the patriotic call of the mightily dollar | The Seminary of Praying Mantis
- Letter to My Soldier | anniethinksabout
- I’m Canadian Eh! | Along Life’s Road
- Crazy for the Red, White, and Blue | A Day in the Life
- Daily Prompt: I Pledge [Corporate] Allegiance | My Atheist Blog
- Daily Prompt: I Pledge Allegiance all My Life to the Magic Colours, Red, White and Blue | Phoenix Flights
- “I Pledge Allegiance” | Relax