Daily Prompt: On the edge
We all have things as need to do to keep an even keel — blogging, exercising, reading, cooking. What’s yours?
Photographers, artists, poets: show us ACTIVITY.
For many years now, I have lived an unbalanced life. Since the death of my beloved Mum, I have struggled with life in general. Like so many people, I don’t think I really, truly appreciated her – and all she did for me – until it was too late. The day she died I promised her I’d be okay, I’d get through life and she could be proud of me.
I very much doubt she’s proud of me at the moment.
When she died, I’d already been on anti-depressants for a number of years. My husband had left me when our son was just 19 months old and I had known that I was never cut out to be a lone parent. Then followed the divorce and all the horrors that tends to bring. I had tried to keep things amiable but it’s difficult when you can’t understand why things happen. We had made a pact, to never get divorced if things went wrong. But just two years after we married, it was all so wrong it had to end. Things were difficult for a while but we tried for the sake of our son to stay civil. Another two years passed and then he came to me, asking for that divorce, because he’d met someone at a funeral that he wanted to marry. At the time, the woman was living with his brother. What a mess! I was disheartened that every single promise he made me had now been broken. I granted him the divorce. My son and I had moved house and begun building our own life amongst all the acrimonious goings on. It hit me hard though I never admitted it to anyone.
I shunned men for many years while I was bringing up my son. I didn’t want to be one of those women who had an endless supply of ‘uncles’ for my little lad. So it was just him, me and Mum. Then just him and me.
Four years ago I decided it was time to do something for me. My son was 13 and old enough to cope with that. I met a man who I instantly liked and felt that I wanted to be with for the rest of my life. It hasn’t happened. Instead, I’ve had to deal with some of the worst treatment I’ve ever encountered, but some of the best too. It’s all a mess. Daily.
So what do I do to keep myself sane? Well, mainly I spend my time on the computer or cross stitching. The stitching has been my saviour for the past 24 years and I have made some gorgeous pieces of work which I have, mostly, given away. Because it requires a lot of concentration, I can lose myself in it for hours. Because each stitch is like a tiny kiss, I can love what I do because it loves me right back.
Sometimes I create my own designs, mostly I stitch from other designers. I can make infinite numbers of patterns but I can’t draw so actual pictures are out of the question for me. And that’s where I find another sense of frustration. I see so much beautiful artwork around and think how lovely it would be to stitch it. I see life in the numbers of the most popular ranges of thread colours. Beside my son, the stitching is my life. My sanity…
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Island Dreaming: Meditation | Musings from a practical mystic
- An eclectic mix of decorative lamps | weliveinaflat
- Daily Prompt: Activity | Books, Music, Photography & Movies : my best friends
- The Secret Door Remains | Daily Prompt: On the Edge | likereadingontrains
- The End of Edginess | The Reluctant Journalist
- Daily Prompt: On the Edge | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: Activity | A mom’s blog
- Daily Prompt: On the Edge | Fasting, Food and other musings by determined34
- Even Keel? What’s that? Daily Prompt | alienorajt
- Daily Prompt: On the Edge « Mama Bear Musings
- On an even keel | Sue’s Trifles
- Daily Prompt: On the Edge | littlegirlstory
- Daily Prompt:On Edge | Motherhood and Beyond
- Dinosaur Day | Andante Cantabile
- Instead of Sitting… | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- It’s a Balancing Act | mentalrollercoaster
- Getting busy | contrailsonmyheart
- 144. On the Edge | kevindeisher
- All I Need to Keep My Head in the Game | Creative Mysteries
- Walking The Precipice | Tony’s Texts
- “On the Edge” | Relax
- On the Edge? « Restawyle
- On The Edge: Finding My Bliss | suzie81’s Blog
- Don’t Even Your Keel With Your Heart | The Jittery Goat
- Tranquility [Daily Prompt: On the Edge] | unknowinglee
- Remember to stay in the lines | notsinglebutnothappy
- Daily Prompt: On the Edge | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: On The Edge | The Land Slide Photography
- I Need Quiet | Hope* the happy hugger
- What Keeps Me Happy | Sincerely, Ms. Roberts
- BOUNCING AND BALANCING | Emotional Fitness
- Daily Prompt: On the Edge | My Atheist Blog
- Daily Prompt – Activity | imexcited
- Gamer/Blogger/Artist | My OCD Diaries
- Even keel. | ayimas
- Writer by Nature, Accountant by Trade – On the Edge | thanks for letting me autograph your cat
- the UNCATEGORISED|Daily Prompt : On the Edge | the TRASH BASH